Sunday, January 29, 2012

Sleep Troubles

I mentioned in my previous post about little Livy visiting us at night.  Well, it was getting out of control.  For a few nights in a row I was having to take her back to her bed 3-4 times per night.  We needed to put an end to this before it got worse.  So, night before last when we put her to bed Brent and I had a little talk with her that she needed to stay in her own bed and that we were going to lock our door until morning.  We made sure she understood that if she woke up in the night and it was still dark outside and our door was locked that she needed to get back in her bed until it was daylight.  She seemed fine with this and went right to sleep.  We slept all night with no interruptions.  About 7:15 the next morning we were awoken by her and Cam knocking and telling us it was daylight outside.  I'm not sure how many times she tried to come in our room that night, but I never once heard her.  So last night we reminded her that she needed to stay in her own bed, but we decided not to lock our door and just see what happens.  Glad to report that she did indeed stay in her own bed all night long!  Yay!  Hope she keeps it up.
Now, on to Cam's nighttime issues.  He hates going to bed at night and he now refuses naps.  I know he is tired at the end of the day but he does anything he can think to drag out bed time.  At 8pm when we first announce bedtime he starts to whine a bit and will try to hide or run from us when we try to get him in bed.  Then he tries to come out of his room MANY times and always with a reason...  he needs a certain car or a  certain Angry Bird or he has to tell us something.  He always has a an excuse.  I want him in bed and Brent is fine with him coming and sitting with us.  But this keeps Cooper up too and well, just follow my rules and we cannot give in to him like that!  I'm trying to make my point here!  I can't put the childproof thing on the knob cause he just knocks it off and I can't lock his door from the outside to keep him in.  Well, last night I though what if I lock the door from the inside and "lock US out"?  I was pretty sure he didn't know how to turn the lock to unlock the door and let himself out.  My plan was to unlock the door with my little key once he was good and sleeping, so he could get out to potty, ya know?  So I locked him in and it wasn't long and he realized he couldn't get out.  He cried a little and then his cry got worse almost like a panic.  So I go in to check on him and it was bad, he was really panicking that he was locked in!  I felt bad and he said, "Mommy, please don't lock the door anymore".  I just hugged him and told him I was sorry and that I promise I won't lock the door anymore as long as he stays in his room and goes to sleep like a big boy.  And he DID!  It worked!  Ahh, just call me Super Nanny!  ;)

No comments: