Tuesday, April 14, 2009

We are proud parents... again!



Ok, anyone who knows me knows that I do not like birds. I don't know if it's the lice or what, but they make me almost nauseous just to be close to them. So maybe it's the mother in me that thinks this is the cutest thing ever. Here is the story: Over a month ago Brent was mowing and a Kildee (is this what they are and is this how to spell it?) was messing with him, running around the mower and squawking at him. Then he realized that she was just protecting her nest that was in the middle of our front yard. From what he could tell there were about 3 or 4 eggs in her nest. He couldn't get too close and we have a ring of wild flowers that are growing around her and her nest because he would make a little circle around her every time he mowed. She was a good mother and I even watched her sit on her eggs the other day when it was cold and rainy outside. There was even one evening when I had to chase some dogs out of our yard because they were picking on her and she was flying around "dive bombing" them trying to keep them from her eggs. It seems like she has been there forever and I had no idea how long it took to hatch eggs. Well, yesterday evening when Brent got home from work he noticed them right away. He left the truck in the driveway and hurried up to the front door to get me to come outside - we finally had baby birdies! At first we only saw two but now there are three. They are so cute and tiny. The momma is teaching them to peck around in the yard and she is very protective. That is why my picture is from so far away. Yesterday when we were watching them there was even another Kildee that came over there (maybe the daddy) and as soon as he got there she took off - to get food I guess. Sort of reminded us of our lives! So in this picture is the mother bird (circled in blue) and two of the babies (circled in red).

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

OH MY GAWD, that is the cutest thing ever!!!! I have to come see! Oh and I wanna see ALL the cute little babies at your house!