Monday, April 18, 2011

There is a crawfish loose in my kitchen!

With a title like that I'm sure I have all sorts of readers for this post!  LOL.
Sounds crazy, but it's true... there is a crawfish on the loose in my kitchen.  Here's the story...
We have had our turtle Oscar for many, many years.  This turtle was with us way before we had kids and I think even before we were married!  He has escaped twice in his life and once was even missing for 2 months before I found him swimming in our pool one day!  I scooped him up and put him back in his kennel where he has been ever since.  I have always wanted to release him, but I am sure that after so many years of being fed repto-pellets that he might not survive in the "wild".  Anyway.... So my Dad called me the other day and asked if I wanted another turtle.  No was my first response!  He went on to tell me that it was a really cute and very tiny little turtle and the kids would love it.  Ugh.  So I thought well maybe I'll get a new, larger kennel for Oscar (one where the kids can easily see him - maybe on a stand or something) and we will adopt the new turtle to join him in their new habitat.  Ok.  So the next day here comes our new pet in one bowl and another little bowl with something else in it.  We also got two crawfish!  I don't know why - Dad must have thought the kids would like that too.  Anyway, I had both bowls on the kitchen counter until I figured out what to do with all these critters.  On Saturday Brent and I went to Houston car shopping so we stopped in at Pets Mart for supplies and when we returned home one of the crawfish was missing!  So now that dern thing is in my kitchen somewhere and I'm sure I'll find it soon when it's carcase starts to smell.  Yuck!  But on a lighter note, the turtles are co-habitating very well and I think actually like each other.  They are also being very nice to their other new roommate - lonely Mr. Crawfish!  BTW, Ernie is the new baby turtle's name.  Here is Oscar and Ernie being very "cozy" together!

1 comment:

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Well, I hope for your sake Ms. Crawfish isn't knocked up. Although...it might make for a nice dinner. I know, I'm so mean! But I do like crawfish! Especially all spiced up with seasoning and corn and potatoes ;-) You can't get them here and that's one thing I really miss about Texas.