Wednesday, July 18, 2012

My First 5K!

I know, I'm playing "catch-up" again, but I am finally ready to sit down and blog a little bit!
On June 16th, I was set to run my very first 5K!  I only had 4 weeks to train and I was doing AWESOME!  My Couch to 5K app on my iPhone was helping me, but it was an 8 week program.  Me, being the person to prove to myself (and everyone else) that I can be the best at everything I do, crammed the entire program into my 4 week period.  BIG MISTAKE!  I was super excited that I had worked up to a 10:40 mile and was running 3 miles every day working on improving my time.  For me, this was awesome.... I have never in my life been athletic or active on this level!  Then one day my knee started to hurt.  Instead of resting, I kept on running until I was in so much pain that I could barely even walk anymore.  The pain became more concentrated and I realized that it wasn't even in my knee, it was just below at the very top of my chin bone.  I had a chin splint!  Holy OUCH!!!  I had to stop training and rest.  :(  Then my other knee started feeling tight and it was all down hill from there.  I ended up having to go to the doctor.  He checked me out and determined that not only did I have the chin splint, but that I had tendinitis in BOTH knees!  And this was one week before my big race.  He told me do NOT run the 5K and to rest for the next 2 weeks.  Now I had a problem.  You see, I was not going to run this race by myself.  I had recruited a team of friends to run with me.  I had them all pumped up and ready to go.  And I was NOT going to let them down!  My plan was to go to the 5K that Saturday morning and try my hardest to at least walk the entire thing - I  could rest AFTER.  :)  Our group consisted of runners and walkers, so I was going to do this!  Our runners (Laura, Sandie, Rosy and Jenna) did awesome and I got to walk the 3.2 miles with my old friend Jennifer!!!!  Turned out to be a blessing in disguise!  In the past few years, mine and Jennifer's lives have take different paths and we rarely get to hang out anymore.  So I was thankful for my injury and my opportunity to "hang out" with my friend!  :)  We power walked that "baby" and finished in under an hour!!!!  I was super proud of all of us and we had a great time!!!  Thank you ladies for being awesome friends!!!  Up next...  Houston Color Run!!!


1 comment:

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Sorry about the tendonitis. But I'm glad you made the best of it and still had fun! I've had tendonitis in various areas. Usually if you take a few days off and do a lot of ice/arnica gel, it'll go down pretty quickly. You might also try adding some lunges to strengthen your knees in the future. Just be careful about form and start with just a few reps and work your way up!