Friday, April 20, 2012

Mommy and Daddy Go To The Doctor....

It's rare that either Brent or I am the ones going to the Doctor... it's usually the kids.  Well, we have both had a little something going on lately that we needed to have checked out.  Finally we did.  Brent had a knot on his chest right beside his pectoral muscle.  He had is for a few years and, I guess fearing the worst, he put off having it checked out.  Finally, a few months ago, he went in and the Doctor was almost positive it was just a lipoma.  Which is just a fatty mass that can develop and is completely harmless.  She scheduled him to have it removed during his next set of days off to allow for a few days recovery.  We went in Monday morning and although he was nervous as heck, she was able to successfully remove the lipoma.  Which was indeed what it was.  He is so happy to have that thing out of him and now he has one less thing to worry about.  He will have a small scar at the incision, but he likes it... makes him look tough.  Lol.
As for me, not so great news.  But it could be worse.  For a few years now I have had a red spot on my left shoulder blade.  During my pregnancies it would get brighter and larger and then would go back down.  I wear a lot of tanks and razor back shirts and it was becoming a issue with me.  People always asking what it was and stuff like that.  In December I had a Doctor look at it and he thought it was either a fungus or eczema.  It was tested for fungus and that was ruled out.  I treated it with a cream for a few months thinking it was eczema.  It was not getting better and in fact was starting to get sore and irritated.  Last week I went in for a punch biopsy that left a 7mm hole in my back that has had a hard time healing.  I went in a week later for a follow-up and biopsy results.  They weren't good, but could have been way worse.  It is a malignant Carcinoma.  An active skin cancer.  But it is a non-spreading kind and can be treated.  Although, I will have to have another procedure to have it completely removed, therefore causing a much larger mark on my back.  Cosmetically it's not good, but at least it's not a melanoma or worse.  I have visited a tanning bed many times in my life and I pretty much grew up at the bay, so I'm not completely shocked.  But, I will continue to do everything just as I have done in the past.  I will wear tanks and razors, and I will go to the bay to work on my "color" and I'm sure I'll see a tanning bed in the years to come.  I will just be more on the "lookout" for any skin variations and I will go see my friend the Dermatologist to make sure we get this one taken care of the right way.  :)

No comments: